Monday, April 11, 2016

When I Used To Think Worms Were Disgusting

After no free weekends and monotony that is Term 2, I was happy to spend whatever necessary to get the hell out of Jakarta and have an enjoyable trip. So I chose Kuala Lumpur....psyche! Jakarta 2.0 was just a pit stop on the way to my true destination: New Zealand. I touched down and fell in love. It's 70 degrees? Heaven.

I wasted little time in Auckland (though it seemed to be an awesome city) before heading down to the famous Waitomo Caves. Thankfully, this is one time my lack of research paid off. In my haste to book things last minute, I reserved a tour which I thought was run of the mill. However, we bypassed the touriest-filled caves and explored two caves with a small group of ten. Spellbound Tours did not disappoint, as the glow worms lit up the underground river cavern more beautifully than anything I've ever seen. The top half of the picture is what my camera caught (get your shit together, Nikon) versus what it ACTUALLY looked like. Surely the trip could only go downhill from here, right? As a wise man once said (for you, Nate), "Not so fast, my friend!" 

I traveled further south and strapped on my trainers to take on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Through most of the first 4k of the hike, a stream flowed steadily within ten feet of the path. The tranquility of it cannot be described, only experienced. Then....whack! Once you cross Apline country, you get smacked with 30-40 minutes of a relatively steep incline and steps. After reaching the south crater, I paused prior to starting the final ascent. While reaching the summit would lead to breathtaking views of the rear crater and the Blue Lake, I was ill-equipped to ascend to the already cloud-covered mountain top (only had a tee and shorts). Swallowing a small amount of disappointment, I made the surprisingly solitary descent back to bottom, back aching and dogs barkin'.


However, the boots didn't stay off for long. I spent the next two days at geothermal parks: Orakei Korapo and Wai-O-Tapu (trying saying those three times fast). As I walked through both parks, I could only think to myself that this is unfair. It's unfair that one country is THIS beautiful. Why can't some place like...I don't know...Jakarta have just ONE thing this beautiful. It'd make life more tolerable. Alas, I had to be content with New Zealand in the now. Though it certainly hasn't disappointed thus far.

....and this was just the first leg! Tune in soon for the stories of the second half of my trip: hobbit holes, natural cathedrals and the happiest of campers!

No comments:

Post a Comment