Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Most Bromantic of Honeymoons

After a slew of Singaporeans spent the majority of the night with them questioning our heterosexuality, I figured I'd just own it and make it the title. Of course, it's bound to happen after my former roommate and I ventured to the Maldives for our term break. 

While our friends would make jokes about couples' massages and honeymoon suites, we were able to reflect on what our trip really entailed: beautiful islands, sharks, stingrays and all-inclusive drinks (a policy in which they're reconsidering after we were through there).  

After a questionable landing coming in Male, we touched down and were immediately surrounded by beautiful, teal-colored water around the airport's island. After spotting our speedboat, we made our way to Bandos Island Resort. This resort had it's own island, house reef and nearby shark-breeding point. It cost a pretty penny to stay there, but we were incredibly well fed, had a variety of activities to choose from and never lacked an adult beverage. 

Just renting gear and snorkeling around the house reef was a treat in itself. While the reef lacked the color we had envisioned, we were able to see reef sharks, sea turtles and weird species of fish (that followed us all around the island, strangely enough). 

After stretching out with a couple drinks at the over water bar, we were able to just relax and stargaze until bed time (9:00 PM sharp!). Some of my friends might scoff at the latter, but spend years in a city like Jakarta and the simple things like fresh air and stars are not taken for granted.

I'm enjoying my job here, but in the time it's taken to write this blog I've received two emails from parents, feedback's been given on my graduate project and two of my hairs have turned grey. 


While my time in the Maldives was great, I'm truly looking forward to being home with family and friends in December. Surely I can adjust quickly to an Iowa winter after two years in a subtropical climate, right?

....bring my sweatpants to O'Hare, Mommy. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Josh, always love reading your blog. So glad you keep on traveling. I live in Indiana with my husband now! How funny life is. Take care and keep enjoying life. Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete