Sunday, August 10, 2014

Clickity Schnar Schnar!

Eating good Mexican food, sipping margaritas and smoking a Cuban. I suppose there are worse ways to end a vacation.  I just concluded my two week excursion exploring the finer parts of Indonesia and I can safely say I'm much darker for it.

I spent the first leg of the trip in the beautiful Kuta, Lombok. Not only was it a beautiful place to travel, but I finally put the surfer lingo that Ike, Ben and I learned to good use. I couldn't bring myself to rent a board and try to surf though, so you guys won't be hearing of any neptune cocktails in this blog post. Sorry. Renting a motorbike and exploring the surrounding beaches was phenomenal though. Pictured is Mawan beach (above) and atop a hill at Seger beach (below).

After getting hosed by a taxi driver and a fast boat company, I made my way to Gili Air. The Gili Islands are a small string of three islands off the coast of Lombok and are growing tourist destinations. Evident by the ridiculous number of white people there. Gili Air, my first stop, is the second largest island with plenty of beach side cafes and small bungalows overlooking the water. Not the worst place to relax and read A Feast For Crows. So pumped for Season 5.

Gili Meno (below) is the smallest and most....intimate island. Not exactly the most exciting place for a single male traveling alone, I'll admit. But the cafes still had plenty of Bintang, the best friend of Indonesian travelers. After packing myself like a sardine in a public ferry, I exhaled to find myself on Gili Traganwan. Familiar faces were seen, the beer (Kilkenny, thankfully) flowed and laughs were shared. Gili Traganwan was the largest and most visited island, but international amenities are nice after a week of fried rice, Bintang and water. 

I rounded out the trip with three days in Bali. Making the trek from Ubud to Seminyak was long, expensive and worth it. Dressing up was a nice change of pace too. And by dressing up, I mean khaki shorts and a tee shirt. My sense of style remains unwavering, to the disappointment of many.

Ubud, the cultural hub of Bali, provided a couple days of temples, shopping and much needed rest from such a demanding journey prior. A crude jape to those who are heading to or are currently at work right now, sorry. 

I head back next week to the stress of preparing kids for their exams (yes, already). This year will have more interesting and intense challenges, but I look forward to the prospect of finding a new job and seeing everyone the next time I return. If you're reading, a shout out to the happy couple, Kenny and Whitney Lents. Already miss you guys and had a blast at your wedding. Many happy years ahead and please put down those ridiculous Rockstar orange juice/horse piss/energy drinks and have a diesel for me. 'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment