Thursday, October 17, 2013

Gooooooodddd Mooooorrrnnniinnnnng, Vietnam!

Okay, so my Robin Williams impression lacks....well, a lot. However, that didn't stop me from enjoying myself on my most recent excursion to Vietnam. Due to a flight change, I was stuck in the Kuala Lumpur airport overnight, but after a 10 hour love affair with the Plaza Premium Lounge (in which I made them amend their free flow beer rule), I headed to Ho Chi Minh City. Theeeen I almost had to turn back. Never trust Wikipedia (*cough* Dingle *cough*) or any other online resource that says you can get a visa on arrival in Vietnam. Without pre-approval from a Vietnamese embassy


and 4x6 photo, they will kick you straight back to wherever you came from or, in my case, charge you 200 big ones for an emergency visa. Needless to say, this trip was not starting well.

With my wallet and emergency funds considerably lighter (and when I say lighter, I mean empty), I made my way to the hotel. First thing I noticed:  Ho Chi Minh is pretty clean. I wasn't expecting Jakarta, but I didn't think it would be anywhere near Singapore. Pretty nuts. Super friendly people who loved tourists and, surprisingly enough, there WERE a lot of westerners there. I didn't think it would be a hot bed of world travelers, but I think there were a greater amount of bules per capita than in Jakarta. 

After 12 hours of hibernation, I awoke ready to do all the touristy things HCMC had to offer: I went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Independence Palace and the Vietnam War Museum. The latter was...interesting. The way things were portrayed in that museum...it was the first time I felt uncomfortable as an American. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I appreciate everything our vets do and did for our country, but.....shit. Pictures will ensue on Facebook if anyone is curious. I couldn't bring myself to photograph some of it. I felt that bad.  Needless to say, I needed to drink those memories away as soon as possible. Vietnamese beer is....wildly mediocre? Good phrasing? I'm very close to saying that I miss Bintang...gross. Things that make you go 'blaaahhhahhh'.

After an eight hour train ride (on what seemed to be a relic from the war era), I made my way to Nha Trang. Supposedly the best beach area in Vietnam, it didn't quite compare to past vacations. Pretty standard for the beach, but a very chill place. I only had a day and a half there, but Nha Trang isn't known for much outside of the beach and beach-related activities. I spent half of the first day at a spa with mud bathes. Once I moved past questioning my heterosexuality, it was actually quite nice. A mud bath, mineral bath (essentially a hot tub), Italian food, beer and laying in the sun for $25. Boleh! After leaving with silky smooth skin, I broke the bank at the first microbrewery I've seen in Southeast Asia: Louisane Brewery. Compared to Bintang and Anchor, this was magical. Wheat, red ale, dark and pilsner swirling around in my belly was comparable to....drinking tears of a unicorn. Over exaggeration? You're probably right. Sigh, I miss 'Merica. The last day in Nha Trang consisted of exploring the town a bit, beach buming, a Vietnamese massage and some Vietnamese/Tex-Mex combo. Sounds weird, but it was quite good!
An overnight train ride back to Ho Chi Minh, a layover in Malaysia and bam! Back in the Big Durian. My next update will probably be after Christmas break. That will have the big news: what I plan on doing next year. To stay or to go....that's the big question. Update: though I plan on hammering out some sort of extension (won't sign anything until January though) with my current school, I have a Skype interview with a school in Istanbul and will be attending an international teachers fair in Bangkok in January. Until my December visit back to the States, everyone enjoy the cold weather. I'll be drinking a Budweiser by the pool, getting a tan and thinking of you guys. Your only solace is that Bud here costs $4.50. Sad day....until December all! 'Merica!

No comments:

Post a Comment